Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Truth... What is truth?

I've been stewing over the concept of truth lately and I can't seem to get my arms around it. Every time I get a part of it the sheer size of the subject makes me go wobbly. I have been listening to Flyleaf a lot in the car lately and there is a song named "Red Sam" that has as part of the chorus, "You are the Truth."

There you stood Holding me Waiting for me to notice you But who are you You are the truth (you are the truth)Outscreaming these lies You are the truth (you are the truth)Saving my life

It occurred to me that Pilate's question, "What is truth" was asked in a very narrow, and soon ending, sliver of time when the Truth was a person in flesh. If he had ralized this would he have acted differently? I think our culture has so corrupted any solid concept of good and evil and right and wrong, just as Rome had, that we would not recognize the Truth if he stood before us.
I personally am so cynical that I don't trust truthfulness when I see it. My first thought when I am faced with genuine honesty is that there must be something wrong with this picture. I have to be convinced that it is truth. I don't think I ought to be this way. I am not saying I should be gullible. I am saying I would rather be gullible than to wrongly distrust truthfulness when I am faced with it.
I am still working on this thought but it is too late at night to give it it's proper treatment.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment